There are many things to do in Galena, IL. Galena is the 2nd largest tourist destination in Illinois after Chicago. It has historical architecture, outdoor activities, shopping, dining, and accommodation options.
Galena is located in the Driftless Region of Illinois. Which means it has rolling hills and beautiful scenery.
- Rent a Kayak and explore the Galena River on a hot day.
- Trek through the woods with Goats at Hoof It Goat Treks. This is an amazing and unique business that is fun for the entire family. Schedule a trip to play with the goats and stay for the campfire and smores.
- Rent electric bikes and tour the town of Galena or head out on The Galena River Trail and down to the Mississippi River. Stop and explore the wildlife areas that overlook the Mississippi River and find some great views.
- Ski Chestnut Mountain Resort in winter or try the alpine slide in the summer. Chestnut Mountain is a 4-season destination.
- Go to the Galena Cellar Vineyard and spend the day outside sipping wine and listening to local music.
- Tour the home of President Ulysses S. Grant. Originally the President’s home his Mansion is now open for tours.
- Take a private tour of The Belvedere Mansion and Gardens. This is an astonishing Mansion with lots of decorations and pieces of interest.
- For large groups, we recommend renting one of the luxury AirBNB’s located in The Galena Territory. Properties such as Decked Out Home and Countryside Home make great weekend escapes from the city. With your rental home, you are often given access to the private lake, clubhouse, swimming pools, tennis courts, and more amenities.
- Stay at a Bed & Breakfast. Great for couples, Bed & Breakfasts like The Farmer’s Guest House offer unique experiences and amazing cuisine.